Living Word Academy
Referrals are written observations by the staff of good or bad behavior by a high school student. The referrals are collected by each student's homeroom teacher, who then will report to the student's parents or guardians about the student's character development. Reports will usually take place at five week or ten week intervals.
When your child is absent or tardy, you have 4 options for reporting the excuse.
1. Written Excuse (signed by a parent or guardian and presented at the office)
2. Email us at email@example.com
3. Calling the school to leave a message before school hours
4. Calling during school hours
If a response is not received by 10:30 a.m., the school nurse will be calling. This will count as the excuse. No excuses are required for students leaving during normal school hours.
If an absence is foreseeable, a note should be sent in advance. Whenever possible, doctor, dental, and other appointments are to be made after Academy hours.
The Health Office located in the main office is open during the school day to address health needs that may arise and is staffed by a registered nurse.
An up-to-date medical record of each student shall be maintained and kept on file at the Academy. Each student is required to have a physical done by their own physician each year and the record submitted to the Health Office. Vision and hearing screenings are mandated by NYS at certain grade levels. If these tests are not performed by a student's own physician, the tests will be given by the Health Office staff. All students must be inoculated in accordance with government regulations and a record of immunizations must be supplied by the parent or guardian.
The administration, teachers, or nurse cannot legally diagnose, prescribe or treat students medically except for emergency first aid. If a student requires medication during school hours, the following procedure is used:
1) The parent or guardian must notify the Academy in writing of any medication to be taken by the student.
2) All prescription drugs or medicines must be accompanied by a written order from your doctor stating the method of dispensing.
3) We cannot and will not dispense drugs, which are not prescribed by a doctor. This means we will not give any over-the-counter drugs without written instructions from a physician.
4) All medications, prescriptions and over-the-counter drugs, are controlled through the Health Office in accordance with NYS Health Department regulations.
If your child will need medication during the school day, please contact the school nurses.
Emergency School Closing
When it becomes necessary to close the Academy due to inclement weather, it will be announced over television stations 9WSYR, WTVH 5 and WSTM 3.
Please do not call the Academy.
Registration for all students is in March at a date designated by the Administrator. A child must be 5 years old on or before September 1st to register for kindergarten and 4 years old by September 1st to enter Pre-Kindergarten. Please note: Pre-Kindergarten children must be completely toilet-trained. A birth certificate and current immunization records are to be presented at the time of registration. New registrants to the Academy may register at any time. Children of all ethnic groups are welcome at the Living Word Academy.
To be admitted to the Living Word Academy, a parent or guardian must do the following:
- Make an appointment to have an interview with the principal.
- If your child or children are admitted, you will be given a registration form and other forms to complete
- Attend a church meeting at the Living Word Worship Center.
- Arrange contract signing and tuition payments with the bookkeeping department located in the high school.
Busing is available through your school district of residence if you live within a 15 mile radius of the Academy.
Parent-teacher conferences are scheduled after the first marking period for grades K - 6 and throughout the year to review student progress as needed. We encourage all parents to attend our "Meet Your Child's Teacher Night" held annually in the fall. This evening is designed to introduce the Academy staff, and discuss ways parents can gain renewed interest and understanding of the curriculum.
A security system is in place requiring office approval for access to our buildings. Press the button at the top of the ramp entrance and look directly into the camera for identification. Once you enter, we request that all visitors to our campus first report to the main office located in the elementary school and sign-in upon entering. We also request that you sign-out upon exiting our premises.